I’ve embraced the Office 2013 clients even though they’re still in beta. I’ve also become a huge fan of Office’s autocorrect functionality. You might recognize it as that helpful little friend that automatically fixes all your “teh”s to “the”s. It’s handy like that. You can seed that autocorrect list with words you commonly misspell. I take it a step farther. I seed it with words I don’t want to spell correctly. For instance, I put an autocorrect entry for “spp” that changes it to “SharePoint.” I have another that changes “spp1” to “SharePoint 2010." I even have one that changes “ss” to “Shane sucks” since I type that so much. It’s a damned handy feature.
Unfortunately as I get new machines and start shuffling things I have to rebuild my autocorrect list. Tonight I’d had enough. I put my Jr. Detective hat on, got my magnifying glass and I started looking for where they’re stored. Thankfully they were easy to find.
The autocorrect entries are stored in an ACL or Auto Correct List file. On Windows 7 that file is stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office. Copy the ACL files from a machine that’s configured to the new Office 2013 install. That’s all there is to it. The next time you open one of the Office clients, you can type “ss” and get the satisfaction of seeing it magically turned into “Shane sucks” right before your eyes.